Thursday, July 3, 2008

Blast From the Past

So, this morning I woke up like usual and watched my lover Matt Lauer on the Today Show. I can't explain my love for him, especially after he accidentally called Osama Bin Laden, OBAMA Bin Laden (Yes, please let's remind everyone that the Democratic Presidential nominee has a name that rhymes with a terrorists. Fantastic for votes.) ANyhow, Addison woke up a little later and we went down to get some breakfast - Addison chose the ever-healthy Trix, while I opted for delicious Pop Tarts (RELAX! I cut up some fruit too, I'm just waiting for it to chill, because everyone knows how I feel about warm fruit.)

PS, If you don't, I hate it.

I had the radio on like I always do, because I don't tolerate silence very well. SHOCKER. And it was tuned to the local random station. You know that station every place has that only plays songs that have you saying "OMG, I totally used to listen to this song!" And it didn't disappoint. Just as I was pouring the cereal, Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order came on, causing me to toss the box in the air and run to the radio to turn it up. You know the song? It goes "Every time I see you falling, I get down on my knees and pray." IN A ROBOT VOICE???? Such a classic.

So while I ate, I was lost in la-la land, where I thought about my first CD that had Bizarre Love Triangle on it. It was a Frosh CD that I had stolen from my brother while I was in high school. After breakfast and my jam session, I went upstairs to find that CD online. I did, and look at the WEALTH of fantastic music is on it!!!

Chumbawama - Tubthumping
Great Big Sea - It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
B-52's - Rock Lobster
Bloodhood Gang - Fire, Water, Burn
Sloan - Money City Maniacs
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
J Geils Band - Centerfold
UB40 - Red Red Wine
Krystal & Shabba Ranks - Twice My Age
Biz Markie - Just A Friend
House of Pain - Jump Around
Madness - One Step Beyond
Ashley MacIssac - Fire in the Kitchen
The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Time Warp
Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
ABBA - Dancing Queen
Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual
Semisonic - Closing Time

Are you kidding me? I forgot how great this CD was. It's like someone reached into my brain and pulled out my perfect mix of semi-crappy music that I am drawn to. I remember popping this in my CD player every morning, as I got home from Seminary and got ready for school. It was a guaranteed good mood.

I was thinking about that last year that I lived at home. The last summer I had there, I was supposed to work at a camp for disadvantaged children, but when I arrived there, I contracted food poisoning/malaria/something that made me throw up constantly and was sent home. SO I spent the last summer there working with my best friend Katie as receptionists at a home improvement place, driving around with friends until 2am, swimming and working on our tans and basically wasting time. But it was awesome. So I hear all these old songs (Time Warp!!!!) and can't help but think of all that goodness.

So I'd be lying if I said I didn't just download the whole CD and mentally thank my brother Ryan for casting it off on me 6 years ago.

Anyhow, I thought I'd post some pics of those days when I lived back home and listened to Rock Lobster and Just A Friend on repeat.




Me and my Exeter bff's - Graham, Katy and Katie. Time has brought us to all corners of the earth, Katie lives in South Korea and Graham is constanly in Europe, but I still love these girls to this day!

In the library, as I underwent my odd graphic t-shirt, short hair, psuedo rocker phase.

My senior prom, with my buddy Mikey who is the man.

Katie and me, the last summer I lived at home *tear*.


Wow, while I was perusing music, I found the soundtrack to Can't Hardly Wait. It's going to be a long day. And you know that I'll be singing "And the joke is, when he awoke his, body was covered in coke fizz!" ALLLLL day long.

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com