Friday, May 30, 2008

Canada vs USA

I was just downstairs making breakfast for Addison a few minutes ago, and I usually take the time that she is eating to tidy up and run the dishwasher and that fun stuff. I was just thinking about how much I actually really like quiet, stress-free mornings like that (Mind you, I haven't started work yet so talk to me about stress in another few hours.) I love Fridays, I only work for a few hours and then, I'm not going to lie, I usually go shopping.



Anyhow, I got to thinking, whilst I was rinsing dishes, about the difference between my home in Canada and my home in Utah. It's a strange ting to be continually be torn between two geographical locations that you have a love/hate relationship with.



Utah, I love for a few reasons. I definitely wanted to raise Addison in a smaller community. All of our neighbours (and when I say all, I mean all of Elk Ridge) knows her and would know in a second if she was with someone she shouldn't be, or knew where to find us any time. I love that. I also love having her somewhere where we do a lot of outdoor activities. We boat and camp in the summer, snowmobile in the winter, and Addison loves all of it. As for me, I love the mountains - I always miss seeing them when I go back to Canada. And I like living in a place that Justin loves so much because it makes him happy to live here. Not to mention, life is really calm and quiet here.


Now, things I don't love so much... I hate to say it, because it really doesn't make sense, but the extreme Mormonism can be a lot to deal with. You know what? I wrote that wrong. I think it's not the actual Mormonism, but rather the type of Mormon out here that can bother me. I think in this state in particular, it's really taken for granted. I think you really need to spend some time out of the "bubble" to really get how hard it is anywhere else. Also, the typical "mom's" out here are funny. And whatever, they can be whatever type of moms they want to be, just don't give me the stink eye when you notice my easier stance on parenting.


Now Canada is so different, it's really comparing apples to oranges. One thing I miss 100% is the multiculturalism there. When people immigrate to Canada, they are encouraged to maintain their heritage. So you learn a lot about other cultures through your friends and neighbours. And therefore, the food there is unbelievable. I love the Indian food up there. And the Caribbean food. Okay, I love all of it. When I go home I gain like 10 lbs from pure eating. Also, I find Canadians to be a lot friendlier. I know, what a stereotype eh? But honestly I think that because there are so few Canadians, that we have a general sense of community and tend to act that way, even with people we don't know.

But it's not perfect up there. When I was home, I realized that I disliked certain things. For one, the area that I'm from outside of Toronto, is home to roughly 6 bajillion teenage moms. Like what the heck people? All day I would see these girl in their hoodies, smoking, pushing their babies up and down the sidewalk. And I hated the looks I got from people just because I am younger. I wanted to flash my rings at them. Also, the typical parents up there are so weird. They are all way into their 30s and so over-prepared that I find it weird and annoying. Like, does your 3 month old really need flash cards? Buggy.

In the end, I don't think I'll ever be able to decide where I really want to live. We toss around the idea of moving up there now and again. I think we should just split the difference and move somewhere in the Mid-West and call it good.

Do you think they have good Indian food in Iowa?

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com