Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Potty Training Story

I will 100% own up. A few years ago, I would overhear a mom talking about their child's potty training successes/mishaps/disgustingness I would think "Gross. WHY does that woman assume that everyone wants to know about her baby's bathroom habits?" I was under the impression that it wasn't something proper people talk about. Well, fast forward a few years later, and here I am, one of the most improper people I know, and yes, I would like to talk about Addison's potty training. It you don't have kids, or think it is bad blog etiquette to talk about potties in general, please stop reading immediately.

You're still reading, aren't you? Morbid curiosity.

SO! After the infamous pink potty incident of '08, we brought the pink potty home and Addison ignored it for a good month or two. It has sat in our bathroom, for the most part unused, except for the time I was cleaning and discovered three stuffed animals jammed into it. Whatever. I swore off any kind of potty antics until she was older. I figured, as long as the deed was done by the time she was three, I was in tip top shape.

Well, Addison had other ideas. On Friday, she asked me if she could take her clothes off. She has an aversion to clothes, and I can't say I blame her, it's so flippin hot around here. So she stripped down. Then, before I knew it, she'd taken off her diaper as well. I told her, "Alright, you can be diaperless, but YOU HAVE TO GO ON THE POTTY!" Insert stern look here. I reiterated the potty facts a couple times over, then went back to my work, bravely letting Addison roam free without any hope that she would actually USE the thing.

But lo and behold, a few minutes later I turned to find her very happily going on the potty. I, of course, had a nervous breakdown and leaped about the room like Willy Wonka, shouting "YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT!" Addison caught on and ran around saying "I DID IT? I DID IT!" We ran around for roughly five minutes, then called Justin and repeated the scenario over the phone. After we hung up, I went back to work, leaving Addison nekkid and hoping for the best. Well, she did it again. In fact, every time she's not wearing a diaper, she goes in the potty.

I am so proud. Which explains why all those others mom's feel the need to go over the details of their child's first potty experience, and therefore, I feel bad for judging them.

So, today we are going to the store to buy some big girl underpants and pullups to see how it goes. There's no turning back now...

Potty training - the final frontier.

2 comments:

Nathaly said...

Lol, Jae. I totally felt the same way. I used to think, "Woopee. Good job. I don't really care that your kid peed on the floor 7 times in one day." But then when this little adventure began, I proceeded to annoy the crap out of everyone around me by talking about it constantly. Sadly, most of the people I talk to don't even have kids. They're probably like, please stop.

Yay for Addison! And for you, lol. Good idea with the naked thing! That worked for my SIL, too.

Jae said...

HAhaha Nat, you're the best. Well for what its worth, I enjoy hearing about Diego's potty training. LOL!

 
designed by suckmylolly.com