Monday, August 11, 2008

Weekend Update: The End of an Era

A year or so ago, Justin and I inherited a table. Now, this table was truly like no other. For one, it belonged to his great-grandfather, but not in a classy antique way. More like a "What do we d with this table? I don't know, see if someone else wants it." Justin's grandparents owned it for a while, until they heard that we were in need of one, and happily (and I mean HAPPILY) delivered it to us. It had been in their basement for too long. It was now in our dining room.

I wish I had a picture of the eyesore that is this table - but I made Justin hide it in our basement. It was wood veneer, an oval. It's legs were brass and weirdly curved. It rocked unsteadily at all times, and the only way to make it look better was a tablecloth that didn't really fit properly. Then the chairs that came with the set! They were the bane of my existence! The were faux leather. Okay, faux leather is way to kind of a term. They were Naugahyde. With brass legs, and the backs were constantly falling off, which I will say was super handy. But, we suffered with the table because we were newlyweds and newlyweds deal with crappy furniture.

Well, this weekend, we finally decided to take the plunge and buy a new dining set. Justin sent me out as the first scout, and I scoured every furniture store within a 50 mile radius. I finally found a few that I liked, and went back to report. Justin and I headed out after to do the actual acquisition of the table, but we couldn't decide. There was one that I *liked* that came with 8 chairs for less money. Then, there was one that I LOVED that only had 6 chairs and was $200 more. After a mere two hours in the furniture store, the salesman gave us a deal, and we are now the proud owners of a table and six chairs.

It's one of those counter height, square "gathering" tables. Two toned and craftsman style. I'll take a picture, but we had to order the chairs in, so right now we only have the table and ONE chair in the dining room. I'll post one as soon as I can.

Justin and I were a little bit sad driving home though, with our brand new table strapped to the truck. The crappy table was our last piece of truly terrible hand me down furniture. We decided that this, more than the fact that we've been married 5 years, makes it so that we can no longer be newlyweds anymore. Newlyweds have crappy furniture. We do not.

So, it's the end of an era. Does anyone need a crappy veneer table?

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com