Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jae's Anatomy: Week 2 - On Heroine Addicts and Wine

Well I really had no intentions of coming back on to update this soon, I'm not gonna lie. But yesterday was pretty eventful and I have a very quiet room and I'm not ready for an afternoon nap just yet, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

We had another ultrasound yesterday (AN ULTRASOUND?? That's weird and out of the ordinary.) And everything was checking out as usual. I always get mad because Justin was there, and unfailingly, if Justin is with me, all ultrasounds are routine and boring. However, if I am by myself, all hell breaks loose and something terrible happens and I end up in a crying puddle at his office AGAIN. What his coworkers must think of me, I'm pretty sure they've never seen me without a runny nose.

ANYWAYS the doctor was peeking around inside my BODY and realized there was no blood flow to the acardiac twin. He called in another doctor, and she confirmed that she didn't see any either. He had no idea what it meant, but had some "theories" (K, theories are for conspirators and Aristotle, not for my caregiver) and he went and called Dr. Ball in Salt Lake. Dr Ball's sentiments that he would "open a bottle of wine in our honor tonight" because he is overjoyed that the healthy baby has effectively done the RFA operation on himself, and simply stopped the bloodflow. So we at the hospital are being cautiously optimistic that this is pretty fantastic. That means that one out of three of our major concerns, cardiac arrest, is no longer a problem. So hallelujah! Now we're only worried about cord entanglement and pre-term labour. I thought that meant they would send me home, but no such luck. Because it's a new development and they really don't know anything about it, I am still here for monitoring. Boo.

On the bright side, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes yesterday after my bone crushing nurse came back with my test results. So far it should be managed with diet, but my new diet SUCKS. For breakfast, I was allowed.....................drumroll please............ONE piece of wheat toast and one hardboiled egg. Needless to say, I am actually gnawing on my arm as we speak. I'm just going to have to be in a good mood about it. They told me, and all I could do was laugh. I WOULD have gestational diabetes.

And because I don't think people believe how AWFUL this nurse was, a picture of my arm today, which makes me look like a severe heroine addict. I had to take it with my phone, its much more dramatic in person. I am in fact, wearing a t shirt today so that if she comes back around I can be all LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO ME, LEATHERFACE! And ask her what she did with her other victims.... not sure if she left them in TEXAS with her CHAINSAW or what.

6 comments:

Nathaly said...

I can't believe everything you keep having to go through! So you have to be on a super strict diet until the end of the pregnancy?

Hurray for the good news about the healthy twin! One less worry is a good thing.

I hope you get your chance to give that evil nurse some major stink eye the next time you see her, lol.

Unknown said...

ok- smack that nurse, that's awful.
glad to hear about the blood flow - prayers are working!!
Hang in there -you're doing fine.
Just dream of that burger you can have when it's all over!! LOL

Morgan Hagey said...

Great news on the baby front!

I'm very sorry you have GD. That STINKS! And there's almost no way to cheat in the hospital... so sorry dear!

Anonymous said...

WOW How the heck did the baby do that!

Congrats Jae!!!! I am much relieved for you!

-Katy

Mary said...

That is great news about the baby! And not so great about the GD. Ok, when they're doing that test, I don't understand why they can't put in a heparin lock, like with an IV and they they're only sticking you once. Lame.

Beth said...

Wow, what a miracle!

Now, just to get you off the diet and rid of that nurse, hmmmmmm.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com