Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jae's Book Club

Since my last book recommendations went so well, (I loved having pople to discuss American Wife with!), I thought I'd post what I've read since then and see if it inspires anyone to hit the library. I hit a really good slew of books lately, so I'm excited to share.



America American, Ethan Canin.


America America is a story of a lower middle class boy who become involved with a wealthy family in town. He's hired to be a landscaper, but eventually finds himself working for a Senator's campaign to become president. While I was reading it, I was like, why the heck is this book called America America? But when I finished I realized that the story entailed all of the characteristics that America is known for... coming from nothing to something, liberty, wealth, family, but also the characteristics that cause empires to fall; greed, pride and lies. I bought this book with another, thinking I would like the other book better, but I really did love this one.



The Ten Year Nap, Meg Wolitzer


The Ten Year Nap is an awesome book that I really think all mothers should read. It is about a group of women who's children have grown up to an age where they are in school, and they realize that their lives aren't filled with taking care of children anymore. They battle with the guilt of wanting to work, judging women who do work, and finding their own personalities after ten years of being a "mom". There were some sentiments in this book that I read and though "YES! That's exactly it!" I think its an interesting book for moms. Too often we think that our personalities are intertwined with our title as a mother. But we have lives, personalitiles and characteristics that are entirely separate from our kids, and those should be fostered and cultivated too. Obviously this book got to me; any book that leaves me thinking is worth a read.



The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins


So I'd heard rumblings about this book, that people were doing it for book club and all of that business, so I picked it up on a whim. It was a fun, fast read that was kind of a guilty pleasure. It takes place in post-apocalyptic America, where what's left of the country has been organized into districts. Once a year, a boy and a girl from each district is sent to the Capitol to participate in The Hunger Games, which is a fight to the death in a large arena, taking place of the span of a few days and televised for all of the country to see. It reads like a young adult book, because it is. But it was interesting enough and I would say a must if you liked books like The Giver.



A Reliable Wife, Robert Goolrick


So I'd been meaning to buy this book FOREVER and was so glad when I finally got it. It's about a woman who answers an advertisement in the early 1900's that a man has placed for "a reliable wife". She, in fact, is a con-woman, and is leading him to believe that she is something he's not. It's a beautifully written period story, and my only regret is that I read it too fast. Next time I'll read it through slowly, because Goolrick, besides having a TERRIBLE last name, knows how to spin a yarn.



Yes Man, Danny Wallace


My brother, Ryan, recommended this book to me. He and I share two things; the same nose, and the same personality. (You can see his website, Ryan Speaks, to the right. He's a motivational speaker all over North America.) Our senses of humour are remarkably similar, so I was excited to pick this one up. It is, by far, the funniest book I have ever read. It is a true story about Danny Wallace, a radio producer who makes a goal to say Yes to every question or suggestion for an entire year. Not only does it get him into trouble, but it lands him a new job, new friends, and even nets him $25,000. It is hilarious. I was driving with Justin when I was reading it, and I had to keep reading him exerpts because I was laughing out loud and needed him to know why. But when I finished it, I totally had tears in my eyes. It's an amazing, life changing book, and if you read just one of this list, let it be Yes Man.


K, so that's my five latest. In between books, I've been working through my books that I brought home from Canada, and have been loving it. If you want an easy, old school read, try Circle of Friends. I just reread it and forgot how dishy and fun it was!


Alright! Let me know if you read any of these so we can talk. The peanut; neither pea nor nut. Discussssss.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so I'm totally reading some of these. The Provo Library doesn't even have A Reliable Wife or Yes Man, so if you own them, I may have to barrow them, if you're okay with that. I think I may go pick up The Ten Year Nap today, b/c it's in at the library. I'm So glad you posted this. I love the books that you suggest, they really are good.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com